- You are here
- G&T Department
“Dare to Dream”
Tisha Verma - Gifted and Talented Coordinator
Ben Morgan- Assistant Vice Principal - Line Manager for Gifted and Talented.
To promote an ethos in which achievement and success is recognised and celebrated throughout the school. The Harris Academy @ Peckham aims to meet the needs of the most able and gifted students in the year group through a comprehensive, challenging and relevant curriculum. To develop the potential and ability of these students and raise their aspirations and achievements by developing their:
Core skills such as problem solving
Awareness of their own strengths and weaknesses
Range of knowledge
We are committed to:
- Placing equal emphasis on high achievement and emotional well-bring, underpinned by programmes of support personalised to the needs of gifted and talented pupils.
- Providing as many opportunities as possible for all students to reveal, display and extend their range of talents and abilities.
- Pupils receiving a broad range of opportunities outside of the classroom, so pupils can experience and investigate their talents in all sorts of areas.
- Enabling students to experience a broader curriculum and a deeper learning experience through extended and project based learning.
HAP Gifted and Talented Cohort:
‘Gifted’ students are those who demonstrate outstanding levels of aptitude (defined as an exceptional ability to reason and learn) or competence (documented performance or achievement in top 10%) in one or more domain. ‘Talented’ students are those students who are distinctly above average in fields of performance such as fine arts or performing arts. They have skills or abilities that are developed systematically or that emerge gradually as aptitude is transformed into skill.
Advice for parents:
At Harris Academy Peckham we firmly believe that it is extremely important that parents discuss, understand and celebrate your child’s unique abilities and needs.
• National Association for ‘Gifted and Talented’ Children- student definitions
Recommended Support for Parents of ‘Gifted and Talented’ Children-