Summer Reading Challenge
We have a very strong focus on reading at Harris Academy Peckham. Every student needs to bring a book to read every day. To prepare you for this, we have a reading challenge for you over the summer!
Read one story a day from The Book of Hopes - an extraordinary collection of short stories, poems, essays and pictures.
You will be discussing in your tutor group the themes in the short stories listed below, so make sure you read at least these seven stories, as we will discuss them in September!
- Hope - page 18
- Bag for Life - page 30
- Consider the Dung Beetle - page 92
- Sunflower- page 107
- Hope is an Ancient Reptile - page 131
- The Demon Goalkeeper - page 257
- Me – page 291
HAP Summer Reading Challenge
Read one book from each category listed below. Write short reviews in your project book. What was the main issue and how was this solved?
- Read a book recommended by a friend
- Read a book that has been turned into a film
- Read a book set in a different country
- Read a book that makes you laugh
- Read a book from the Peckham 50 list - ten books for each year-group, recommended by your English teachers
- Read a non-fiction book
We’re also producing a series of recommended book lists on particular topics or themes. You might like to pick a book from these lists too.
Southwark Libraries have a great e-library, accessed through BorrowBox, where you can download books and audiobooks for free.