Posted on June 24th 2020
Enter the HAP 'Freedom' Creative Writing Competition
National Writing Day (June 24) is an annual celebration of the pleasure and power of creative writing. To celebrate, the English department is today launching an exciting creative writing competition for all students and staff!
Write about 'Freedom'
To enter, all you have to do is write about the theme of FREEDOM. You can interpret this theme any way you like. We welcome all types of writing including stories, poetry, song lyrics, articles, and journal entries.
- Word count for prose (stories and articles, and journals): 500 words
- Line count for poetry and lyrics: 30 lines
The power of the written word
Did you know that writing is not just about literacy and attainment? When we write regularly, it also promotes our mental health and wellbeing and so the English department is encouraging you to write for fun and self-expression. You might have an amusing story to tell but you might also want to share your thoughts and feelings about something that’s very important to you. Take this opportunity to share your fantastic writing with us!
As well as the winners having their work shared via our school Twitter page and in our school newsletters, there are eight Amazon Vouchers to be won!
- There are two age categories: Years 7 and 8, and Years 9 and 10
- Within each age category, there will be separate prizes for fiction and non-fiction
- Fiction 1st Prizes: £15 Amazon voucher
- Non-Fiction 1st Prizes: £15 Amazon voucher
- Runners up will go into a prize draw for the remaining £10 prizes
Prizes will be awarded during prize-giving ceremony on Teams (date to be confirmed).
Email your entries to your English teacher by 3pm on Friday 3rd July.
We can’t wait to hear from you! Let’s Get Writing!